The Creative Art of Being
"A lovely oasis in the middle of our sometime hectic lives"
It is joy wrapped in a package of stimulating and motivational activities, a time to get away from one's hum-drum routine and just be one with the sacred side of oneself.
The Redwood Shelter Residents and Staff Testimonials for WNAMPSL , Toronto, ON
Walking, nature appreciation, mindfulness and peer support and leadership - a curated wellness program designed and delivered by Althea for women and children living in a shelter who have fled abusive homes.
- Before I worried a lot, after WNAMPSL (aka wellness walks), I felt lighter. Leaving all the things that bothering me in the steps I left behind.
- I absolutely, wholeheartedly recommend the WNAMPSL program. I believe in the power of walking, nature appreciation & mindfulness to do the real healing work that all of us can benefit from, but particularly survivors of violence. Althea has an innovative & intelligent program that can only grow in its abilities to create positive change for all that interact with it.
- Before wellness walks, at times I’m lazy and tired but after, I noticed that I’m in a good mood and have energy
- It was great, changing mind and have time free from kids. Walk together and share our history with each other is nice and I love this program.
- I loved walking through High Park. I loved the nature and saw how beautiful and relaxing it is 6. It helps me to look after myself & leave the worries behind. Thanks Althea for sharing your knowledge w/us. It’s a great program for Mommies
- Thank you! I look forward to our next round of Wellness Walks. Hope to see and participate in WNAMPSL in the near future. Thank You! Thank You! Namaste!
- I loved the program as a whole. I’ve learned how to take time for myself and do some breathing exercises
- Yes, I have already start put in what I have learned into my daily life. It actually feels good walking and now I’m not taking the TTC when I’m with my baby which clears your head - just me & P.
- I remember a woman saying “Black people don’t walk”. Now she is walking. 11. My mother would not believe me. I walk all this. I’m surprise myself.
- This is an amazing activities. Taking people with low income to beautiful nature place to enjoy and discover.
- In my role I was not present for most of the program, but I would say that having Althea with us, in a way that fit the needs of the families here, and her flexibility to adapt the program as needed was wonderful...
- This is a fantastic program to integrate in a holistic approach to healing trauma, providing great tools building stress management and wellness.
- I loved walking through High Park. I loved the nature and saw how beautiful and relaxing it is.
- What an incredible person! Althea fit into the culture of The Redwood so seamlessly, with a gentleness and compassion that enabled her to do amazing work with the families here. She went above and beyond to help achieve the goals of this program.
Whitehorse Correctional Centre / Yukon College, Whitehorse, Yukon
My name is Gloria Johnston and I am the Adult Education and Campus Coordinator for the Yukon College – Whitehorse Correctional Centre Campus and I have known Althea Knight for approximately 2 years. Althea coordinated and facilitated the WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Program) with multiple adult living units at the Correctional Centre.
I am writing to recommend Althea Knight for any position which would allow her expertise and innovation to be in service to others in a collaborative capacity. Althea is an incredible facilitator and, with the WRAP program, she created a space of openness, caring and safe expression in a challenging work environment with a vulnerable sector of the population. In my years of experience, some individuals stand out for their great qualities, Althea is overwhelmingly one of those people. She is well known for her passion, intelligence, positive attitude, diligence and organization. The WRAP program was very well-received here at WCC and the feedback was extremely positive and provided “tools for real change” for many of the participants. She is well respected with the Correctional Centre, and with the College as a compassionate and energetic leader.
I recommend Althea for any role through which she can contribute her remarkable creativity and dedication. I am confident that she would make a wonderful addition to any organization, team or workplace delivering programs or facilitating workshops.
Gloria Johnston, Whitehorse, Yukon
Xhastin's Healing Journey, Whitehorse, Yukon
a land based healing camp created by Yvonne Jack, with the support of community elders. Xhastin (Yvonne Jack) is a member of the Taku River Tlingit First Nation (TRT).
I am pleased to be able to write this letter of recommendation for my friend and colleague Althea Knight. In our time spent together, I found her to be one of the most dependable people I have ever had the privilege of working with.
When working with Althea, it’s evident she has not only passion, but significant experience in working and supporting people with their wellness and healing. During our time together, I witnessed the commitment and dedication that she showed in all areas of her work. She displayed her experience time and time again with advice that was invaluable to the success of the groups that we worked with.
Althea regularly took the initiative to suggest workshops and activities that would meet the unique needs of multiple groups. She was incredibly capable, and would often independently facilitate groups, adjusting to their needs as required. As the manager of Xhastin’s Healing Journey, I am very particular about who works with the often-vulnerable individuals seeking our services, and had complete faith in Althea in all areas.
I was continually impressed with her integrity, grace, and knowledge, and her ability to support all members of the team by demonstrating respectful and non judgmental behaviour at all times.
I would not hesitate in the future to have Althea as an integral and invaluable part of any work I am involved in, and I’m certain if you hire this will be your conclusion as well. Sincerely, Yvonne (Xhastin) Jack
St Mary Catholic Academy/MWB, Toronto
I am so grateful for our mindfulness session. I love learning from you.
I loved seeing how you handled students that were uncomfortable with mindfulness, or even resistant to the practice. I thought you handled those students wonderfully and appropriately. I loved that you included movement to the practice, called each student individually to respond and included everyone.
I also loved that you handled each situation for what it was and accepted anything that happened.
Thank you for coming to St Marys again Althea. You are a wonderful inspiration and I love learning from you.
Have a wonderful summer.
OCASI - Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants, Toronto, ON
Althea was a Peer Champion with the Neighbours, Friends and Families Campaign last year and she did a phenomenal job creating something called "Love Walks", which are soulful and meditative walks where participants were able to reflect on gender-based violence at the end of the walk. She really is a special and magical woman, able to create really comfortable spaces for folks!
Sidrah Ahmad, Senior Coordinator, Gender Based Violence Program (she/her)
Ending Violence Against Women - Telling Our Stories, Immigrant Women’s Resilience
Althea, thank you so much for coming out and sharing these rich stories with our kids, I hope we can have further opportunities! I did read through quickly the novels and was really impressed, especially by how the difficult content was handled, and it still needed careful and professional facilitation to properly convey to the kids, thank you for providing it!
Calhoun, Vice Principal, Victoria Park, Toronto, ON
Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants, Toronto, ON
Althea, thank you so much for facilitating such an engaging workshop in the Parkdale area this week!
Krittika Ghosh, Senior Coordinator, Violence Against Women, OCASI
Women’s Wellness Thursdays with Althea - Curated for Ecuhome Housing Corporation’s Residents, T.O.
- More – We don’t want this to end. Why can’t we continue?
- Loving, Supportive, Beautiful
- The whole group meetings made me feel more calm and relaxed.
- The facilitator is a lovely woman who is very open, understanding, outgoing, positive and energizing. The group is very open and educating.
- Fun, creative, and relaxing.
- I really loved the self wellness/meditation parts
- I learned to take time-out for myself.
- Loved making and doing art
- A nice place to make new friends and spend some time to explore your inner self
- I liked interacting and sharing ideas
- It felt good to dance and write and I want to remember to do this when I feel crappy.
- A time to relax and express our thoughts
- I liked the positivity in the group and the people within the group.
- Caring and Sharing
- Relaxing, Revitalizing and Respectful
- Here we release negative emotions in a healthy way
Day of Reflection Workshop for The Staff at Cardinal McGuigan Catholic High School, Toronto, ON
The Staff of Cardinal MCGuigan Catholic High School thank you most sincerely for the energetic engagement and sincere solidarity you have shared with us on our Day of Reflection. It has given many of us much to consider and reflect on how we may take better care of ourselves. May your courageous openness to life’s horizon inspire you evermover to reach new potentials and new avenues of leading others to wellness! THANK YOU!
The Creative Art of Being©, Osaka, Japan
This is Keiko. attending your workshop yesterday.
Thank you for your workshop. When I look at my drawing at home, and looked at last year's my paintings,
Yes, it is very different. As you said I may make a progress.
Art will make us easy to feel something very core in ourselves, and express, which is hard to say in words in daily life.
Through your workshop, I had a chance to express, and through what I painted, I know myself or my situation better, and that encourages me to the next.I don't know what it is now, but connecting to the reality, I am excited about this now.I enjoyed the conversation with you, too. From the heart,we can understand each other easily,
Feeling is very individual but same in the world beyond the languages, culture, It was the chance to make sure about it. It is nice that we know not how different we are but how same.
Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing you next time. Love Keiko
The Creative Art of Being©, Osaka, Japan
Thank you for your workshop.It was a pleasure to meet you.
Your workshop is very fun and unique, but you are more fun and very fantastic than that. ＼（^o^）／
Your presence can make people feel so happy. ♪♪♪
We appreciate your visiting to Japan. (Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. ! ! ! )
I had a great experience through these workshops of Althea Knight!!
They were thoroughly amazing!!
Michiko Fujikawa Mullins
Althea brings joy and vitality to everything she does. Her work one-on-one with her clients is no exception.
I have had two sessions with Althea, and found them to be simultaneously energizing and calming. Althea has a gift for creating a safe space to fully experience emotional and spiritual energy. I found the sessions gave me a new perspective on old issues, and helped me release what was no longer useful to me.
I believe in order to work successfully with Althea one must have an open mind, and allow oneself to “go with the flow.” I am grateful for her work and highly recommend her.
"On February 21st and 22nd 2009 Althea held a Sacred Play Transformational (The Creative Art of Being) Workshop in Ellon, Scotland. This was a very new thing for a small town in the northeast of Scotland but she came, she saw and she conquered! Everyone was touched by her love, compassion and beauty and benefited hugely from the spiritual energy, voyage of self discovery and release of old thought patterns. This resulted in many new opportunities opening up for those who attended, with offers of travel and invitations to other workshops appearing within days. Haste ye back Althea."
Lots of love,